Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Day 4: Where are they now?

Write about the fate of a past knitting project. Whether it be something that you crocheted or knitted for yourself or to give to another person. An item that lives with you or something which you sent off to charity.


There are a lot of different aspects to look at when looking back at a knitting project and it can make for interesting blogging, as much of the time we blog about items recently completed, new and freshly completed. It is not so often that we look back at what has happened to these items after they have been around for a while.


How has one of your past knits lived up to wear. Maybe an item has become lost. Maybe you spent weeks knitting your giant-footed dad a pair of socks in bright pink and green stripes which he then ‘lost’. If you have knit items to donate to a good cause, you could reflect on the way in which you hope that item is still doing good for it’s owner or the cause it was made to support.

I've decided to talk about 2 projects or knitted objects and where they are now. One is a scarf that I knitted for myself and have gotten quite a bit of wear out of. The other scarf is one that I knit for a good cause...

(1) Dipped Infinity Scarf (pattern by Laura Chau)

I stumbled upon this pattern because Dani over at Sunshine Yarns (you do realize my obsession by now, right?!) started dyeing yarn for these kits. She has created various color schemes and sold the yarn, along with the pattern, as a kit. I ended up buying the Secret Garden color scheme and I just love the way the colors blend together. The pattern was very easy to master and a quick knit!

I have worn this scarf many a time (although for some reason, I don't have any pics of me wearing it)...it really goes great with a lot of different outfits and it keeps my neck SO warm! Here are some pics of the scarf, which definitely showcase the amazing colors:


What do you think? Aren't the colors gorgeous?! I imagine I will continue to get lots of use out of this one!

(2) Red Heart HeartScarves (designed by Treva McCain)

"HeartScarves provides handmade red scarves to members of our WomenHeart Support Networks and to women undergoing cardiac procedures. The red scarves offer comfort; support and encouragement for any woman with heart disease and become a part of her healing journey. For every kit purchased Red Heart will donate $3 to WomenHeart." ~ Red Heart website

I bought this kit last Spring, knit it up and sent it off with a hand-written note. I really hope it found its way to a woman undergoing cardiac issues and provided some comfort and support to her through the difficult time.  

2 comments:

  1. I love your DIS in Secret Garden! I may end up getting one if she repeats it. :) That or the Be Natural kit - lots of neutral tones. :)

    Cute post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I was actually thinking about buying some KnitPicks yarn to make a "Be Natural" one (I just want a neutral-colored one to wear with browns) :) But you should definitely knit one up, you'll love it!

    ReplyDelete

This blog does not allow anonymous posts.