Monday, April 16, 2012

Follow-up to "One Day Without Shoes"

If you were reading my posts from last week, you may have seen my link-up on Friday, featuring five of my favorite things from that week. One of them was, participating in One Day Without Shoes on Tuesday, April 10 - an event that started five years ago by Blake Mycoskie, the founder of TOMS Shoes.

Basically it's just one day out of the year, where people from all over the world go without shoes. There are events such as 1-mile walks, there are marches with signs, and people spread awareness through all of the social media outlets available to us at our fingertips. It may sound silly, and you may ask, well what does that do to help children who need shoes (which is TOMS Shoes mission)? It's really just about raising awareness...it's to get people talking and to get people involved. The more people that know about Toms and know that there's something they can do to help, the less children we will have without shoes.

I wanted to share this video that the company posted, a few days after the event. To me, it's just so inspiring...to see people from around the globe, actors, musicians...going without shoes and spreading the message.


And if you aren't convinced to purchase a pair of TOMS yet, I'll share with you my 1st TOMS purchase:


I ordered a pair of their newest style of ballet flats - they're simple, comfortable & meaningful to me! Now, they aren't what I would call cheap, costing on average, about $50/pair. BUT, my friend and I were talking the other day about this, and part of the deal with spending money on things such as TOMS, is that one has to realize that the money they're spending is not just for the shoes, it's to make another pair of shoes as well. It's the cause, and I'll be the 1st to admit that I've spent $50 on a regular pair of shoes before. Anyone else out there with me? So I see it as a worthy & mindful purchase!

TOMS One for One movement matches every pair of shoes purchased with a pair of new shoes given to a child in need. The movement is meant to be about people making everyday choices that improve the lives of children.

They offer mens & womens shoes, adults & kids, even a wedding-themed line (yes brides & grooms are wearing TOMS on their special days, how cool?!)! They even started a line of eyewear that follows the same power of One to One. For ever pair of sunglasses bought, the fundamental need of sight is provided to someone in need (via glasses, medical treatment, or a referral for eye surgery.
More details can be found here!

No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog does not allow anonymous posts.