Monday, June 14, 2010

A Lengthy Recovery

Hi to all my blog readers...I'm sitting in the LAX airport waiting for my flight back to Monterey. I spent the weekend in Denver, CO visiting one of my best friends, her husband, and their family. Her mom/dad live there and she had planned this huge *surprise* anniversary party for them...and I got the chance to be there to celebrate with them. Pics and a blog post about it to come...

I figured while I have this time to spare, I'd blog a little about my recovery after my tonsillectomy...

It will be 3 weeks tomorrow that I had my tonsils taking out. For those of you who don't know, getting tonsils out as an adult is NO FUN!! I was warned and I really wish my parents would have had mine taken out when I was a child. This surgery has been a long time coming...basically I have lots of breathing problems (especially when I wake up in the morning), I have some sleep apnea (determined by a sleep study), I get tonsillitis a couple of times a year, and I snore like a 'mad-woman'!! :)

Anyway, getting tonsils out as an adult can cause the recovery time to be up to 2-3 weeks (whereas kids usually bounce back in a few days to a week). My surgery went well...but 3 weeks later and I still don't feel COMPLETELY back to normal. The first week all I consumed were ice chips, water, and jello...seriously! Solid foods started to make a comeback last week, but mostly just soups, mashed potatoes and bread.

I want to say that the sore throat wasn't the worst part...I had some MAJOR earaches (the doctor told me this would happen because your ear canal is connected to the way your throat reacts and it will feel like you have an ear infection). So, my meds continued much longer than I would have liked due to horrible earaches.

Note: It is also really painful to yawn and sneeze soon after having tonsils out...try to avoid (like anyone can...) :)

But, I can already tell a difference in my breathing and supposedly my friends this weekend said they didn't hear me snore once!!!! :) Woohoooo...my hubby won't have to wear ear plugs at night anymore (yeah, I'm totally NOT joking...poor guy). So, I would definitely say that getting the surgery was a good decision, but something I wish I could have avoided, getting them out when I was younger. And I'm SO glad to be back to eating normal food again, although the liquid diet probably allowed me to lose a few pounds...it was not fun or appetizing!! My throat is still a bit sore when swallowing, but each day gets closer to being back to normal.

3 comments:

  1. Glad you are feeling better! Hope the visit to Denver was great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wondrous time we had with you! I'm still recovering from the shock of the surprise ... and Love that you were here through all of it. Tomorrow we officially begin our next 30!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww, I had such a good time in Denver too!! So glad that I was able to celebrate with you and Wayne. Congrats again on 30 years!! :)

    ReplyDelete

This blog does not allow anonymous posts.